Opportunity Alert: Events and Logistics Coordination Intern
Term: Fixed term contract – 1 February 2020 to 31 January 2021
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
About the DGMT:
The DG Murray Trust (DGMT) sees itself as a strategic investor into social projects and a public benefit innovator. Their goal for South Africa is a flourishing people, economy and society in which every person has the opportunity to fulfil their potential.
Towards this goal, their strategic aims for 2017 – 2021 are:
- To nurture an innovative and inclusive society;
- To keep all children on track by Grade 4; and
- To enable all young people to get their first decent job.
In order to achieve these aims, key areas of intervention are identified as Opportunities within DGMT’s Five Year Strategy. A significant approach to advancing DGMT’s 10 opportunities has been to develop or support programmes that build human-agency through fellowship programmes and network mobilisation.
In order to support DGMT’s efforts to build human agency, we are looking to employ an Events and Logistics Coordination Intern who will work across three agency-building programmes:
The DGMT Fellowship for Organisational Innovation is a one-year fellowship programme for young leaders of civil society organisations in South Africa. The Fellowship programme seeks to expose fellows and organisations to innovative thinking and approaches, and support them in implementing lessons in their own organisations. Through the fellowship journey, DGMT seeks to build a network of individuals and organisations that are interested in public innovation, and in so doing, spark the network effect where our efforts are greatly amplified.
Embrace is a national movement with an ambitious goal – to ensure every mother is supported from the start. We do this through inspiration, mobilisation and building meaningful connections for and among mothers and mother-supporters. As part of this work, we run the Mamandla Fellowship, a nine-month programme that brings together 15 – 20 women who have demonstrated a passion for motherhood and supporting moms. The programme offers Fellows intensive support and a series of face-to-face immersions aimed at nurturing their capacity for activism.
Youth Capital (YC) aims to become a dynamic campaign driving solutions for youth employment by fusing young people’s perspectives and evidence-based data into a powerful agenda of action. Currently incubated by the DG Murray Trust, Youth Capital is piloting its Influencer Programme in 2020. Through the YC Influencer Network, young South Africans will be connected to each other and together will find new, community- based solutions to tackling the high levels of youth unemployment in South Africa.
- Coordinate logistics for event-related activities including booking travel, securing venues etc.
- Serve as a liaison between service providers and participants.
- Draft and manage schedules for events.
- Provide support with all event preparations.
- Conduct research on event-related topics, locations etc.
- Manage administrative tasks.
- Track payments and invoices.
Key Competencies and Attributes:
- Matric qualification.
- Interest in events management or operations as a career path.
- Interest in social development and leadership development topics.
- Attention to detail.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Demonstrate a sense of urgency in completing tasks.
- Ability to take initiative and use judgement.
- Ability to multi-task and work in a dynamic environment across multiple teams.
- Reliable and punctual.
- Possession of a driver’s license is advantageous.
This is a fixed-term position, based in Cape Town. Salary negotiable based on skills and experience. The position will require frequent domestic travel across South Africa.
Please send a cover letter and CV with the details of at least 2 contactable references to email@example.com by Thursday 2 January 2020. Please use the subject line Events and Logistics Coordination Intern 2020 when submitting applications. Do not send any other documents, please.