Employment Opportunity: UX/UI Designer
We are looking to hire a talented UX/UI Designer to join our small team. We are looking for a Jack-of-all-trades in UX/UI design, with experience in user research, visual design, prototyping, testing and iterating on feedback. If you are excited about scaling social innovation in the education space, then this is a great place to grow your career. Start time is immediate and the project will run to October 2021 (renewable).
This project aims to design and develop a user-centric digital platform to support community-based early childhood development (ECD) practitioners in South Africa. ECD services include maternal and child health care, nutrition, parenting support, social security and early learning. The initiative will start with early learning, building on the work of a rapidly expanding non-profit social franchise which currently involves over 3,500 practitioners and 35,000 children a year.
The ultimate goal is to make this platform available as an open-source product that will be available free of charge to the sector in order to scale quality early childhood development and broaden future choices for children in South Africa and across the globe.
- Research: Gathering and evaluating user requirements. This involves working with a diverse range of stakeholders – from field-based practitioners to funders, to partner organisations, etc. Creating and implementing tools for research through various media platforms to gather feedback on user’s ease of use and satisfaction
- Design: Ability to take concepts from whiteboard to wireframes to hi-fidelity prototypes. Illustrating design ideas using storyboards, process flows and sitemaps. Enhancing user experience by creating seamless navigation through various digital stages. Design the aesthetics to be implemented within the digital platform, from the layout menus and drop-down options to colours and fonts allowing for interface edits as needed. This applies to the white-labelled version of the tool as well as all versions customised as part of the grant.
- Teamwork: Working closely with developers throughout the phases of design to ensure that UX is central to build. Combine interface design concepts with digital design and establish milestones to encourage cooperation and teamwork.
- Iteration: Analyse user feedback and data to examine traffic on the platform and determine why certain functional areas perform better than others. Test, test, test – and incorporate user feedback into platform refinement.
- Passion for education and social change. A good understanding of the education and/or social development sector will be advantageous.
- 3-5 years of demonstrated mid-to-senior-level experience in creating and implementing UX research, visual design, prototyping, testing
- Proficient with visual design programs such as Adobe Photoshop, Sketch and others. Experience creating storyboards and website mapping
- Strong communication skills and an ability to translate complex technical jargon into user-friendly language, and to translate complex user requirements into technical terminology. Ability to speak an African language is advantageous
- Ability to work effectively in a diverse and collaborative environment to create a top-performing tool for practitioners
- Experience with coding and ability to troubleshoot using HTML, CSS and comparable languages
High calibre and interested candidates to send an email with a strong motivation letter and a copy of your CV by no later than 12 October to firstname.lastname@example.org
Contract term: ASAP – October 2021 (renewable)