Employment opportunity: Programme Director – Zero Dropout Schools Initiative
The DG Murray Trust aims to ensure that all South Africans are able to fulfil their potential. As part of this work, we are committed to making sure that every child in South Africa is supported to finish school. The Zero Dropout Schools Initiative pulls together a range of innovative interventions that aim to ultimately halve the number of learners who are pushed out of the basic education system before Grade 12 each year.
The initiative aims to:
- Drive a powerful public advocacy agenda focused on mobilising a range of critical actors to take action on school dropout;
- Develop an accelerated learning programme focused on the rapid catch-up of reading-for-meaning skills to address underlying learning backlogs that predict learner dropout;
- Support the development and mobilisation of a network of schools committed to Zero Dropout;
- Support the implementation of a range of projects piloting innovative approaches to preventing dropout and reintegrating learners.
To this end, the Zero Dropout Schools initiative is recruiting a Programme Director to provide strategic vision and drive this work. The Programme Director will be responsible for managing and supporting all four strategies; ensuring that links are made between the four strategies; driving public communications to position the issue of school dropout on the national agenda; working closely with all partners, stakeholders, staff, and consultants; and working with DGMT to secure additional funding for the initiative.
Core skills and background:
- Evidence of the ability to make things happen, think strategically, work in uncertainty, and juggle many multiple responsibilities at the same time.
- Experience in national advocacy or communications work, people management, and project management.
- Excellent writing skills.
- A relevant post-graduate qualification.
The suitable candidate will be strategic, proactive, driven, and committed to developing cutting-edge, high-quality work. S/he will have big-vision thinking while maintaining an eye for detail.
This is an initial 12-month contract, renewable based on performance and available funding. Salary is negotiable based on skills and experience. The position is based in Cape Town but will require some domestic travel, possibly for extended periods of time. Start date mid-January 2019.
Interested candidates should email a short letter of motivation, CV, and the names and contact details of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Programme Director – Zero Dropout Schools Initiative/SM” in the subject line. Closing date for applications is 18 November 2018.