Employment opportunity: Communications Specialist – Zero Dropout Schools Initiative
DGMT is working to drastically reduce the number of learners who are pushed out of the basic education system before grade 12. We are looking for an experienced Communication Specialist to help us build public consensus around the cause on a national scale.
Our ideal candidate understands how to inspire social change through compelling and shareable content. Most importantly, s/he has a genuine heart for social change in South Africa.
We are recruiting a Communication Specialist to design, develop, and execute a data driven national community resource; and develop and execute a broad-based public communication strategy. The Communication Specialist will be part of a small, dynamic team focused on driving strategies to prevent learners from leaving school before completing grade 12.
Job function and responsibilities:
- To develop and implement short and long-term communication campaigns in different mediums, at a local and a national level, using a mix of earned, owned and paid-for channels.
- Use narrative and data storytelling to demonstrate the scale of the problem and the possible solutions.
- Use data to develop an annual flagship publication tracking the state of South Africa’s basic education system.
- Engage the media and act as a spokesperson to build national awareness around the cause.
- Engage high-profile decision makers in various sectors, including civil society, government and business, in order to pave the way for solutions.
- Establish DGMT as a thought leader on the topic of school dropout in South Africa.
Skills and qualifications
- Proven ability to combine creativity and critical thinking to construct compelling stories using well-presented data in various formats including text, video, audio and graphics (data visualisation/data storytelling).
- Proven ability to engage the media.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English. Additional South African languages a plus.
- Degree in communications, journalism, or related social sciences.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a similar field.
- Geared towards working in a collaborative environment
This is a 12 month contract. To start immediately. Salary negotiable based on skills and experience. The position is based in Cape Town. The position may require some degree of domestic travel.
Interested candidates must send a short letter of motivation, CV, and the names and contact details of three references by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Add Communication Specialist– Zero Dropout Schools Initiative in the subject line of the email. Closing date for applications is 22 January 2018 by 09:00.